Transition for young people has social, legal, and medical options.
Even if you are not an adult, you may be able to make a legal name or gender change. You will almost always need help from your parent or guardian.
Things you can do on your own:
Things you can do with a parent or guardian:
- Get a bank account
- Change your legal name and gender
- Get a state ID or driver’s license
- Get a new or updated passport
- Change your Social Security record
- Change your birth certificate
- Get declared a mature minor
- Get a legal emancipation
National Center for Transgender Equality (transequality.org)
- Identification Documents and Transgender People (PDF)