Skip to content

Legal name change for transgender youth

You can change the name you prefer at any time. Just choose a name you like and ask people to use it. You can do the same with your gender pronouns.

If you want that name to be your new legal name, you have to do more. You will need help from adults.

In many places, you have to see a judge and get a court order for name change to do that. This legal step will help you change many other important things.

Below are links that gender diverse youth in American can use to see how to do it in their state. If you live outside the USA, please see the international resources page.

United States


Foreign nationals in the US


National Center for Transgender Equality (

  • Identification Documents and Transgender People (PDF)