Some people use the term SOFFA for people who want to help. It means Significant Others, Friends, Family and Allies of transgender and gender diverse people.
Trans Allyship (transallyship.weebly.com)
- Nice overview by a social worker.
Human Rights Campaign (hrc.org)
- Be an ally – support trans equality
- Transgender People and Marriage: The Importance of Legal Planning
Straight Spouse Network (straightspouse.org)
- Provides personal, confidential support and information to heterosexual spouses/partners, current or former, of gay, lesbian, bisexual or transgender mates and mixed-orientation or transgender/non-transgender couples for constructively resolving coming-out problems.
- Tips for allies of transgender people
- A beginner’s guide to being an ally to trans people
National Center for Transgender Equality (transequality.org)
- Supporting the Transgender People in Your Life: A Guide to Being a Good Ally
Gender diverse youth need your support!
The Trevor Project (thetrevorproject.org)
- A Guide to Being an Ally to Transgender and Nonbinary Youth
Lurie Children’s Hospital (luriechildrens.org)
- How to Support Transgender & Gender-questioning Youth (Ann & Robert H. Lurie Children’s Hospital of Chicago)
- Guide to being a trans ally*