Thank you for supporting transgender and gender diverse people! You are saving lives by being an ally!
Some people use the term SOFFA for people who want to help. It means Significant Others, Friends, Family and Allies of transgender and gender diverse people.
Here in the United States, there are over 5 million transgender and non-binary people, according to 2022 data. Among people under age 30 in the United States, 1 in 20 identify as part of our community.
Trans Allyship (transallyship.weebly.com)
- Nice overview by a social worker.
Human Rights Campaign (hrc.org)
- Be an ally – support trans equality
- Transgender People and Marriage: The Importance of Legal Planning
Straight Spouse Network (straightspouse.org)
- Provides personal, confidential support and information to heterosexual spouses/partners, current or former, of gay, lesbian, bisexual or transgender mates and mixed-orientation or transgender/non-transgender couples for constructively resolving coming-out problems.
- Tips for allies of transgender people
- A beginner’s guide to being an ally to trans people
National Center for Transgender Equality (transequality.org)
- Supporting the Transgender People in Your Life: A Guide to Being a Good Ally
Gender diverse youth need your support!
The Trevor Project (thetrevorproject.org)
- A Guide to Being an Ally to Transgender and Nonbinary Youth
Lurie Children’s Hospital (luriechildrens.org)
- How to Support Transgender & Gender-questioning Youth (Ann & Robert H. Lurie Children’s Hospital of Chicago)
- Guide to being a trans ally*