Some transgender people want surgery to change their bodies. This kind of surgery has many names. Many people call it gender confirmation surgery or gender affirmation surgery.
Gender diverse people may choose any of the procedures below. People from this part of our community may choose new combinations of more traditional procedures listed below.
Facial gender confirmation surgery
Some people choose facial gender confirmation surgery for their head and neck as part of a gender transition.
Voice gender confirmation surgery
Some people want to make their voice sound higher or lower. If they are not able to do so with voice practice or voice therapy. Some choose voice gender confirmation surgery as part of a gender transition.
Top gender confirmation surgery
Some people choose surgery for their chest area as part of a gender transition. This is called top gender confirmation surgery.
Bottom gender confirmation surgery
Some people choose surgery for their hips, waist, and genitals as part of a gender transition. This is called bottom gender confirmation surgery.
For women and transfeminine people
Some of the bottom surgery choices for women and transfeminine people are:
† These surgeries will change your body so you can not make children.
- † Orchiectomy (castration or removal of testicles)
- † Vaginoplasty (creation of a vagina, including orchiectomy)
- † Vulvoplasty (creation of a vulva without a vagina, including orchiectomy)
- Labiaplasty (creation of labia majora and labia minora)
- Liposuction and fat transfer
- Gluteal augmentation (buttock implant)
- Hip and thigh augmentation
For men and transmasculine people
Some of the bottom surgery choices for men and transmasculine people are:
† These genital surgeries will change their bodies so they can’t ever make children.
- † Hysterectomy (removal of uterus)
- † Salpingectomy (removal of fallopian tubes)
- † Oophorectomy (removal of ovaries)
- † Vaginectomy (or colpectomy/colpocleisis, removal of vagina)
- Phalloplasty (creation of a penis via skin graft)
- Metoidioplasty (creation of a penis with existing genital tissue)
- Liposuction (fat removal) and fat transfer
- Leg augmentation
For gender diverse people
Many of the medical options listed above are also chosen by genderqueer and nonbinary + people. In some cases, they may choose novel combinations of the above options. For more, see: Gender diverse surgeries.
Lists of surgeons
There are many good reasons to get surgery in a country where you are a citizen. If there is a problem after, it is easier to go back, and it is easier to take legal steps if needed. Some people choose to travel to save money or to go to the surgeon they feel will do the best work.
- Listing by state of US-based surgeons who serve our community
- Listing by province of Canada-based surgeons who serve our community
- Listing of Thailand-based surgeons who serve our community
Disclaimer: This is medical talk, not medical advice. Some of this may not apply to you. It is presented without warranty. It may contain errors or omissions. You must do your own research.