Transgender passport resources: international

IMPORTANT: If your country allows transgender people to get an M or F gender marker, I recommend getting one of those two options, even if you can get a third gender option. Some countries may not allow you to enter using a passport with a third gender designation.

For more on why you need a passport, see: Transgender passport resources


Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (


Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) (

Immigration, Réfugiés et Citoyenneté Canada (IRCC) (


Ministry of External Affairs, Consular, Passport & Visa Division (

  • Passport Seva (
  • In 2014, the Supreme Court of India ordered that transgender people be recognised as a third gender. They ordered accommodations for identity documents including voter card, ration card, driving licence, and passport. Passports allow the option “T” as a gender marker. If possible, try to get an “M” or “F.”


Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (

  • The Gender Recognition Act allows Irish citizens over the age of 18 to self-declare their own gender identity. Young citizens aged 16-17 can also be legally recognised, though there are more steps. Please contact Transgender Equality Network Ireland ( for information.

New Zealand

Department of Internal Affairs (

United Kingdom


United States of America

On Transgender Map:

Disclaimer: This is legal talk, not legal advice. Laws vary by jurisdiction and change often. Some of this may not apply to you. It is presented without warranty. It may contain errors or omissions. You must do your own research.