Michigan transgender resources

Below are resources in Michigan for our community, part of this site’s American resources by state. See also major US-based trans websites and national advocacy groups.


Fair Michigan (fairmichigan.org)

  • Name change clinics and other services

National Center for Transgender Equality (transequality.org)

Human Rights Campaign (hrc.org)

Williams Institute (williamsinstitute.law.ucla.edu)


Transgender surgery options in Michigan

Transgender Michigan (transgendermichigan.org)

World Professional Association of Transgender Health (wpath.org)

Planned Parenthood (plannedparenthood.org)

A reader sent the following in November 2003.

Michigan will change both name and sex, and will issue a new birth certificate rather than amend the old one. Michigan law also provides for “sealing” of the old record. For further information, see Michigan Compiled Law 333.2831.

You will need an original letter from your SRS surgeon, and an original or certified copy of the court order for your name change. The fee is $26.00.

Contact information:

Michigan Department of Community Health
Changes Unit
(517) 335 – 8660

Ms. Carol Getts
State Registrar and Chief
Office of the State Registrar Center for Health

A reader adds in May 2004:

The information for Michigan is incomplete. 

Name change:

(1) File a petition with the county clerk’s office – about $50

(2) a legal notice will need to be filed – about $39

(3) finger prints must be taken. Generally at your township police station ($10 or so). Cards mailed to state police in Lansing ($35 fee est.), with return address the county clerk’s office.

(4) once the legal notice has run, and a no criminal report comes back from Lansing, the clerk will notify you of your hearing date in Family court. In court, the process is little different than a person reverting to a maiden name after a divorce. Similar to how you once described it in Chicago.

Other comments and resources

Michigan state law

Michigan Compiled Law 333.2831.