Kansas transgender resources


National Center for Transgender Equality (transequality.org)

Human Rights Campaign (hrc.org)

Williams Institute (williamsinstitute.law.ucla.edu)

World Professional Association of Transgender Health (wpath.org)

A reader writes in January 2008:

I had my name changed in Kansas, and it was quite easy. The things that I liked about it was you did not need proof of address, which didn’t matter to me because I was a real resident; you also don’t need to reveal your social security number, or place/date of birth. Some people like that because it gives you a certain level of privacy.

As Andrea has pointed out, many commercial databases will list court documents online and one key piece of information they use to link people are dob and SSN.

I had to get something notarized, although I don’t remember what. You have to make up your own petition and order. I don’t remember there being any do it your self kits. What people advise you to do is to go to the court house and look at other name change cases and copy them word for word basically. Obviously, you would use your own name. In Kansas, you have 2 choices, either to send out notices to your creditors, or list an ad in the newspaper to announce you are getting your name changed. You do have to show up in court, however, you may not necesarily meet with a judge, as I did not. I just simply picked up the order from the secretary’s office (who was quite friendly by the way), and I had a few certified copies to go from the clerk.

One piece of advice I have for people who are changing their name in Kansas is to include your date of birth and place of birth in the order. Many people leave that out, and that info can be important when it comes to changing your name on your birth certificate. You don’t always have to change your name on your birth certificate, so if you are not bothered about that, then I would leave out your dob and place of birth in the name change order.

Other resources


Kansas law

Kansas Statutes

Kansas Name Change Law


Article 14.– CHANGE OF NAME

60-1401. Jurisdiction and costs. The district court shall have authority to change the name of any person, township, town or city within this state at the cost of the petitioner without affecting any legal right. History: L. 1963, ch. 303, 60-1401; Jan. 1, 1964.

60-1402. Change of name of person; notice; order. (a) Petition. A petition may be filed in the county in which the petitioner resides stating: (1) That the petitioner has been a resident of the state for at least 60 days, (2) the reason for the change of name, and (3) the name desired.

(b) Notice. Service of notice of the hearing may be made either by mail or by publication, in the discretion of the court. If notice is directed by publication, such notice shall be published as provided in subsection (d) of K.S.A. 60-307, and amendments thereto; and if notice of hearing is directed to be given by mail, service of notice may be made by registered or certified mail to parties of interest, as prescribed by the court.

(c) Order. If upon hearing the judge is satisfied as to the truth of the allegations of the petition, and that there is reasonable cause for changing the name of the petitioner the judge shall so order. History: L. 1963, ch. 303, 60-1402; L. 1974, ch. 240, § 1; L. 1979, ch. 184, § 1; L. 1990, ch. 202, § 12; Jan. 1, 1991.

60-1403. Municipalities. A petition for the change of name of any township, town, or city may be filed in the district court of such county, signed by a majority of the legal voters of such body, setting forth the cause why such change is desirable and the name to be substituted. The court, upon being satisfied by proof that the prayer of the petitioners is just and reasonable, that notice as required in the foregoing section has been given, that the petitioners are legal voters of such township, town, or city and that they desire the change, and that such change will not result in an objectionable confusion of names within the state, may order the change prayed for in such petition. History: L. 1963, ch. 303, 60-1403; Jan. 1, 1964.