Dr. Ousterhout retired in 2014, and his practice was taken over by Jordan Deschamps-Braly.
Douglas K. Ousterhout (born August 30, 1935) is an American plastic surgeon who popularized facial feminization surgery for transgender women through a series of innovative techniques starting in 1982 until his retirement in 2014. For over 30 years “Dr. O,” as he was affectionately called, performed facial feminization for many trans people, including Lynn Conway, Donna Rose, Nicole Hamilton, and myself.
Jordan Deschamps-Braly trained directly with Dr. O for years before taking over his practice. I recommend making Dr. Deschamps-Braly your primary consideration for any work you’d like to have done.
Dr. O purchased a vineyard after retiring and produces Ousterhout Wine.
I had facial feminization surgery in 1996, and it still remains the best investment I have ever made. Period. Since I wrote about my experiences, many other women have shared their experiences and results. I’m very proud to have raised awareness of the life-changing potential of this option.
- One of his important contributions for consumers was this pamphlet which illustrated the benefits of facial feminization surgery.
- Ousterhout edited this medical book written for other plastic surgeons.
- Excellent 185-page consumer overview of available procedures, with many illustrations and images. I highly recommend it for anyone considering these procedures, as it is the definitive consumer guide. It includes an introduction by Donna Rose, who, like me, had life-changing results from these procedures. Both of us are among the many patients who consented to having our results included in the book.
Ousterhout DK, Deschamps-Braly JC. Special Edition on Transgender Facial Surgery. J Craniofac Surg. 2019 Jul;30(5):1326-1327. doi: 10.1097/SCS.0000000000005387. No abstract available.PMID: 31299711
Ousterhout DK. Facial Feminization Surgery: The Forehead. Surgical Techniques and Analysis of Results. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2015 Oct;136(4):560e-1e. doi: 10.1097/PRS.0000000000001425. No abstract available.PMID: 25938955
Ousterhout DK. Dr. Paul Tessier and facial skeletal masculinization. Ann Plast Surg. 2011 Dec;67(6):S10-5. doi: 10.1097/SAP.0b013e31821835cb.PMID: 22123544
Ousterhout DK. Sliding genioplasty, avoiding mental nerve injuries. J Craniofac Surg. 1996 Jul;7(4):297-8.PMID: 9133835
Ousterhout DK. Mandibular angle augmentation and reduction. Clin Plast Surg. 1991 Jan;18(1):153-61. Review.PMID: 2015741
Ousterhout DK. Feminization of the forehead: contour changing to improve female aesthetics. Plast Reconstr Surg. 1987 May;79(5):701-13.PMID: 3575517
Ousterhout Wine (ousterhoutwine.com)
Douglas Ousterhout (drofacialsurgery.com) [archive]
- bridges transition from standalone practice to collaboration
- later redirected to deschamps-braly.com