These surgeons offered transgender surgery but have since stopped. Kept for historical interest.
- Robert Barham (born 1942, retired)
- Elmer Belt (April 10, 1893 – May 1980)
- Stanley Biber (1923–2006)
- Lennox Ross Broster (1889 – 12 April 1965)
- John Ronald Brown (July 14, 1922 – May 16, 2010)
- Michael Brownstein (born 1941, retired 2013)
- Georges Burou (1910–1987)
- CF Chen (Taiwan – retired)
- Annette Cholon (born 1966, retired 2006)
- Choomchoke Janwimaluang (died 2015)
- Patrick Wensley Clarkson (20 February 1911 – 28 December 1969)
- Marvin Corman (born 1939)
- Bruce Langdon Cunningham (med.umn.edu) (born February 1, 1949) retired
- James Dalrymple (1931–2014)
- Arlen D. Denny (born May 1, 1947, retired)
- Charles Devine EVa Med School Norfolk – phalloplasty
- Thomas M. Dewire Sr. retired 2016
- Ira Martin Dushoff (5/15/1931 – 7/30/2013)
- Milton Thomas Edgerton, Jr. (1921–2018)
- Edward Falces (1931–2004)
- RH Fang (Taiwan – retired)
- J. William Futrell – formerly with Transgender Surgical and Medical Center
- Bruce Genter (drgenter.com) retired
- David Gilbert
- Harold Delf Gillies (1882–1960)
- Erwin Gohrbandt
- Roberto C. Granato, Sr.
- Roberto Granato Jr.
- Greechart Pornsinsirirak
- Daniel Greenwald (February 14, 1960–October 5, 2019)
- Joseph S. Gruss (died 2019)
- Charles Horton – EVa Med School Norfolk – phalloplasty
- Ted Tsung-Che Huang (1937–2016)
- Helen A. James
- Jirapong Poony Thai surgeon
- Howard W. Jones, Jr. (1910–2014)
- Edward F. Joganic, Jr. (1946–2017)
- Viktor Kalnberz
- James Woodfin “Woody” Kennedy (refinedlooks.com) (1960–2019)
- John Gale Kenney (born 1950, retired)
- Murray Kimmel (1930–2013)
- Sheila Kirk – formerly with Transgender Surgical and Medical Center
- Donald R. Laub, Sr. (born 1935, retired)
- Donald Laub, Jr.
- James A. Lehman, Jr. (retired 2016)
- Ludwig Levy-Lenz (December 1, 1892 – October 30, 1966)
- Hans Wolfgang Losken born 02/07/1940
- Charles Leroy Lowman, M. D. (1879–April 17, 1977)
- Ernest K. Manders – formerly with Transgender Surgical and Medical Center
- D. Verne McConnell died July 22, 1996
- Yvon Ménard – retired
- Bahram Mir-djalali
- Mona Motz (1941–2015)
- Richard Mühsam (1872–1938)
- Ian R. Munro (retired 1996)
- Douglas K. Ousterhout (born 1935, retired 2014)
- Prakob Thongphiew (retired)
- John Randell
- S. S. Ratnam
- Harold Reed (born 1940, retired)
- Russell Reid
- Benito B. Rish
- Michael Royle (retired ~2000)
- Eugene Schrang (1931–2019)
- Michel Seghers (1932–2014)
- Felix Spector (1917–2007)
- Samuel Stal (1950–2012)
- Kenneth L. Stein (steinsurg.com) (1954–2018)
- Walter G. Sullivan (born July 1, 1952) – retired
- Timothy Terry, Leicester, UK (inactive)
- Transgender Surgical and Medical Center (1998–1999)
- Karen B. Vaniver (1961–2018)
- Peter Walker (retired 2014)
- Stephen W. Weiland (retired) weilandgroup.com
- David R. Wesser (1933–2008)
- Grant Williams (retired) [Charing Cross]
- Charles Wolf (died ~1965) some Swiss sources say 1964
- Peter Alfred Zedler (born 1954) retired
Historical overviews focusing on vaginoplasty
• LINK: A Brief History of Transsexuality by Madeline (undated)
• LINK: History of the procedure by Lynn Conway (2003) (note: graphic images)
• LINK: Sex Reassignment Surgery (SRS) of Transsexuals by Minhee Kim (1998)
• LINK: Transsexuals and Sex Reassignment Surgery by Suffolk (UK) Health Authority, May 1994
Types of vaginoplasty techniques
• LINK: Gender Reassignment Surgery by Over The Rainbow, Australia
• LINK: Female genital anatomy by Andrea James (2003)
• LINK: Potential vaginoplasty complications by Andrea James (2003)
• LINK: Skin Graft vs. Colon Transfer by Elaine Rose (2002)
• LINK: Laparoscopic rectosigmoid colpopoiesis: does it benefit our transsexual patients? by SM Maas et. al. (1999)
• LINK: Colon graft vaginoplasty (note: graphic images)
• LINK: Sigmoid Vaginoplasty: An AEGIS Medical Advisory Bulletin (1995)
• LINK: The Downside of SRS by Elaine Rose (2002)
Prioritizing and preparing for vaginoplasty
Vaginoplasty is only a small part of a complete transition if your goal is social acceptance as a woman. In the past there was a tendency to exaggerate its importance, while neglecting other physical and social aspects of transition.
• LINK: Customizing a transition timetable by Andrea James (2003)
• LINK: Reproductive options for trans women by Andrea James (2003)
• LINK: Orchiectomy prior to or instead of vaginoplasty by Andrea James (2003)
• LINK: Genital electrolysis prior to vaginoplasty by Andrea James (2003)
• LINK::Genital electrolysis with injected anesthetic by Kim (2003)
• LINK: My personal opinions by Andrea James (2003)
• LINK: My vaginoplasty timetable by Andrea James (1998)
• LINK: Vaginoplasty after a short “real-life experience” by Andrea James (1998)
• LINK: Insurance-Funded Genital Reassignment Surgery by Gianna E. Israel (2001)
Vaginoplasty surgeon lists and overviews
Note: No endorsements implied. Views expressed represent those of contributors and do not necessarily reflect the views of this site.
• LINK: Finding the right plastic surgeon by Over The Rainbow
• LINK: Indigo Pages has an extensive surgeon list. Myria may have updated or additional information on the surgeons listed below.
• LINK: European surgeon list by Kate Kira has the most up-to-date info on European surgeons, including dozens not listed elsewhere.
• LINK: Transgender in Thailand: Links by Andrew Matzner is a great overview of the Thai surgical resources.
• LINK: Lynn Conway has a selective list of vaginoplasty surgeons with commentary and photographs of results.
• LINK: Anne Lawrence has a partial list of vaginoplasty surgeons with commentary and photographs of results.
• LINK: Trasek.net has an annotated list of vaginoplasty surgeons.
• LINK: GenderCare has a partial list of vaginoplasty surgeons.
• LINK: Pamela Sexton has a complete list of vaginoplasty surgeons, with a focus on Europe.
• LINK: Susan’s Place Transgender Resources has a complete list of surgeons with reader ratings and comments.
• LINK: Labiaplasty
• LINK: Corrective procedures following complications
Gynecologist visits and annual exams
• LINK: My first gynecological exam by Kathryn Alannah (2003)
• LINK: Vaginal Neoplasia in a Male-to-Female Transsexual by Anne Lawrence (2001)
• LINK: Preventing yeast infections by Marjorie Greenfield (2001)
• LINK: Preventing urinary tract infections by Lynn Cates (2001)