Some transgender people want surgery to make their bodies more masculine or less feminine. This kind of surgery has many names. Many people call it gender confirmation surgery or gender affirmation surgery.
Facial gender confirmation surgery
Some people choose facial gender confirmation surgery for their head and neck as part of a gender transition.
- Facial masculinization surgery
- Tracheal augmentation (Adam’s apple implant)
- Forehead lengthening and augmentation
- Cheek augmentation
- Masculinizing rhinoplasty
- Chin recontouring and augmentation
- Jaw recontouring and augmentation
- Lip reduction
Voice gender confirmation surgery
Some people want to make their voice lower or more masculine. If they are not able to do so with voice practice or voice therapy. some choose voice gender confirmation surgery as part of a gender transition.
Top gender confirmation surgery
Some people choose surgery for their chest area as part of a gender transition. This is called top gender confirmation surgery.
Bottom gender confirmation surgery
Some people choose surgery for their hips, waist, and genitals as part of a gender transition. This is called bottom gender confirmation surgery.
Some of the bottom surgery choices for men and transmasculine people are:
† These genital surgeries will change their bodies so they can’t ever make children.
- † Hysterectomy (removal of uterus)
- † Salpingectomy (removal of fallopian tubes)
- † Oophorectomy (removal of ovaries)
- † Vaginectomy (or colpectomy/colpocleisis, removal of vagina)
- Phalloplasty (creation of a penis via skin graft)
- Metoidioplasty (creation of a penis with existing genital tissue)
- Liposuction (fat removal) and fat transfer
- Leg augmentation
Disclaimer: This is medical talk, not medical advice. Some of this may not apply to you. It is presented without warranty. It may contain errors or omissions. You must do your own research.