Some people in our community choose to take hormones without going to a doctor:
- to save money
- to keep it out of their medical record
- to keep others from knowing
It is safer to take hormones under a doctor’s care.
This section is written for adults. If you are not an adult, see how to get hormones as a transgender minor.
Some people order hormones online from foreign pharmacies. This can be a choice for those who do not want others to know about their hormone use.
- Buying and importing prescription drugs without a prescription is probably against the law where you live.
- Because it is against the law, you might lose the money you paid:
- No drugs sent
- Fake drugs sent
- Drugs taken by police at the border
If you wish to take that risk, here is how to do it.
1. Choose where the order will be sent
Friend or relative
- You need to trust them.
- You need to come out to them.
- You need to be sure they won’t tell your family.
- You can rent a private mailbox to get packages at a local UPS Store other store that has private mailboxes.
- This will probably cost $200 to $300 a year for a small box.
- Some private places may offer them to minors. Some do not.
US Post Office mailbox
- This will probably cost $20 to $200 a year for a small box.
- People under age 18 can get a post office box. I have written a separate page on getting a post office box for minors
2. Choose how to pay
Credit/debit cards (best choice)
- If you have a bank account of your own (which you should do if you can), you can probably get a debit card that can be used to order online.
- Many online places will require a card to place an order.
- There are a lot of scams online. Research before submit your card number. You could become a victim of identity theft.
- Online sites can close overnight. Only use a place where you know someone got what they ordered in the last month.
- If others have access to your bank account, they may see that you placed the order. They might ask you about it.
Cash by mail (bad choice)
- This is not a good idea. They can just keep your money and say they never got it. Many places will not accept cash, especially if it is not the currency they use in their country.
Check (OK choice)
- You may be able to mail a personal check for your order. This will take longer, but is an option. I recommend getting a money order instead.
Money orders (better choice)
- You can get a money order from your bank, or from a lot of retail outlets like Western Unions, 7-Elevens, currency exchanges, etc. You will need to know the exact amount and who to make the money order out to.
Wire transfers (OK choice)
- NEVER wire money directly to the business using your bank information.
- NEVER give them your bank information.
- Go to a Western Union in person and pay with cash to make the wire transfer.
Online payment services (good option)
- Some places may allow you to pay via PayPal or Amazon if you have an account set up to send and receive money through those services.
3. Choose an online pharmacy
Remember: getting hormones without a prescription is against the law. Many online pharmacies move a lot or go out of business. You must do your own research. In October 2019, these were in business:
All Day Chemist (alldaychemist.com)
Global Pharmacy Plus (.globalpharmacyplus.com)
Planet Drugs Direct (planetdrugsdirect.com)
- Pill Identifier
- Lets you check to see if the pills you got are what you ordered. Also available as a paid app
Center for Safe Internet Pharmacies (safemedsonline.org)
National Association of Boards of Pharmacy (nabp.pharmacy)
Disclaimer: This is medical talk, not medical advice. Some of this may not apply to you. It is presented without warranty. It may contain errors or omissions. You must do your own research.
Note: This page is for adults ages 18 and above.