Minoxidil comes in several concentrations and forms.
My endocrinologist recommended using the 5% foam:
This is a less expensive option, but the packaging states in numerous places it is “for men.” It’s the same formula used for women.
- The manufacturer says to apply it to dry hair. It may be better to do this at night before bed. Allow it to dry before putting your head on a pillowcase.
- Allow the minoxidil to completely dry for 2 to 4 hours.
- Do not use a hair dryer to speed up the drying.
- Do not shampoo your hair for 4 hours after.
Apply crown or vertex
- You should put it on in the center of your head from the tallest point of your scalp to the hairline.
- I find it helpful to spray it in my palm, then bend my fingers back and apply it using the heel of my hand to keep the foam from getting wasted between my fingers.
Rub it in vigorously
- Start in the center of your head and massage it in, pulling it down from the center.
Wash your hands immediately after applying it
- You don’t want to get too much on your skin or in your eyes.
Minoxidil can stain clothes and bedding
- If you plan to go to bed or wear a hat or scarf before it’s dry, be sure your pillowcase or headwear is something you don’t mind being stained.