Changing passport after gender transition: adult US citizens

All transgender American adults MUST get a passport that shows their new name and gender as soon as they can. This may be harder to do later if the rules change.

If you are an American who has never had a U.S. passport, please choose a page based on your age:

How to change sex marker if you had a passport before

You MUST apply in person if:

  • You are requesting a sex marker change
  • Your last U.S. passport was issued when you were under age 16
  • Your last U.S. passport was lost, stolen, or damaged
  • Your last U.S. passport was issued more than 15 years ago

Even if something says you can renew by mail, you must apply in person to make a change of sex marker.

Status of Gender TransitionValid for
Adult who had “appropriate clinical treatment”10 years
Child under 16 who had “appropriate clinical treatment”5 years
In the process of getting “appropriate clinical treatment”2 years


You must apply using Form DS-11, unless you are replacing a limited-validity passport in your new sex within two years of its issuance date (see below). In addition to the regularly-required documents*, submit the following:

  1. ID that resembles your current appearance
  2. Passport photo that resembles your current appearance
  3. A medical certification that indicates you have had appropriate clinical treatment for transition to male or female, or are in the process of transition to male or female
  4. Proof of legal name change (if applicable)

*See Apply in Person for all regularly-required passport documents.