Skip to content

Kentucky transgender resources

Below are resources in Kentucky for our community, part of this site’s American resources by state. See also major US-based trans websites and national advocacy groups.


Campaign for Southern Equality (


Transgender surgery options in Kentucky

World Professional Association of Transgender Health (

Planned Parenthood (


National Center for Transgender Equality (

Human Rights Campaign (

Williams Institute (

A reader sent this in December 2008:

I just wanted to send you a quick note and let you know a little update the KY name change process that you have posted. There is a new cost. It is now $43 for the court fee’s, $5 for certified copies, and 50 cents for attested copies.

In November 2003 a reader sent the following:

Here’s the details for name changes in Kentucky. 

Go to the probate court clerk’s office in your home county.

Bring along your current drivers’ license/state picture ID and 1 other ID (may be in old name) – their main concern is verifying your current residency, and $28

They will give you a form to complete, asking your original name, name desired, address, CSZ, and signature. It will also ask if you are obtaining the name change for fraudulent reasons. It does not ask any other reason. Once you complete this, and pay your $28, the name change will be added to the docket. If you want extra certified copies of your name change, those are $3 extra apiece. 

In Louisville/Jefferson County, and Lexington/Fayette County, no court appearance is needed. Your name change will be submitted to a judge for signature, and it is routinely granted – your completed name change is mailed to you. In other counties, you may need to appear – a date will be set at the time you file the paperwork. While a judge has the right to say NO, it hasn’t happened in the recent past anywhere in the state. Legal counsel is unnecessary. 

Once the name change is obtained, one may go to the county clerk’s office,and the personal ID/drivers’ license/CDL may be changed to the new name, with a certified copy of the name change. They will not change the gender marker without proof of SRS – the receipt from payment of the surgeon is what they want to see, and it must have the magic words “sexual reassignment surgery” on it. 

The Kentucky State Bureau of Vital Statistics will change a Kentucky birth certificate, with the same proof of SRS required for the change of marker on the license/ID. It may be done by mail, is routinely granted, and requires neither a judge, nor legal counsel. 

All in all, Kentucky is a pretty easy place to change your name. At no point in the process is legal counsel needed, as of now. However, we are concerned this may change, because we now have elected our first GOP governor in 35 years, a doctor who knows about and doesn’t approve of TSs. .