One of the most difficult but important parts of transition is gaining acceptance from your family. Luckily, more and more families are being understanding and accepting. This section is designed to help you talk to family in ways that will address their concerns and help them come to terms with the news.
- Letters to Loved ones [archive]
Gianna Israel (counselsuite.com)
Parents of trans youth
I have some comments and suggestions on coming out to parents as a young person. Some applies to anyone who plans to tell her family.
Gender Spectrum (genderspectrum.org)
- US-based group with the best information.
- LGBTQ Youth resources.
Trans Student Educational Resources (transstudent.org)
- Trans and gender nonconforming youth resources.
GSA Network (gsanetwork.org)
- Trans and queer youth support groups.
Lambda Legal (lambdalegal.org)
- Bending the Mold: An action kit for transgender students (PDF)
Camp Aranu’tiq (camparanutiq.org)
TransYouth Family Allies (imatyfa.org)
Trans Youth Equality Foundation (transyouthequality.org)
Transkids Purple Rainbow Foundation (transkidspurplerainbow.org)
Gender Diversity (genderdiversity.org)
Campus Pride (campuspride.org)
Parents who transition
The Ascent (theascent.pub)
Spouses and partners of someone in transition
Human Rights Campaign (hrc.org)
Straight Spouse Network (straightspouse.org)
- Provides personal, confidential support and information to heterosexual spouses/partners, current or former, of gay, lesbian, bisexual or transgender mates and mixed-orientation or transgender/non-transgender couples for constructively resolving coming-out problems.