Never send or post anything you would not want forwarded to your family, friends, neighbors, classmates, and coworkers. For more, see interacting safely with others online.
Before the rise of large social media platforms, private forums were the service of choice. Many of these have great archives that have outlived AOL, Myspace, Tumblr, LiveJournal, Yahoo, and other walled gardens.
Many toxic online communities also exist on forums, so be very careful about what you share.
Susan’s Place (susans.org)
- Large forum with over 2 million posts.
TG Forum (tgforum.com)
- News, resources, and forum.
True Selves (trueselves.com)
- “Generation X & Y people who are actively transitioning in some way.”
TG Chatroom (tgchatroom.com)
- Free supportive and friendly chat for community, friends, and SOs.
Transgender Zone (forum.transgenderzone.com)
- Not very active.
Inner Female (innerfemale.com)
- Friendship, support, community.
Transgender Heaven (transgenderheaven.com)
- More than 5,000 members and dozens of daily posts
Historic transgender forums
My Husband Betty Message Boards (myhusbandbetty.com/community)
- Offline as of 2019. Good for spouses and significant others. [archive]
Genderpeace (genderpeace.com) [archive]