Below are some of the important early trans rights organizations. More to come!
- Scientific-Humanitarian Committee
Erickson Educational Foundation
- Active 1964–1977. The most important organization in transgender history.
National Transsexual Counseling Unit
Transsexual Action Organization
Janus Information Facility
Street Transvestite Action Revolutionaries – STAR
Queens Liberation Front
IFGE: International Foundation for Gender Education (ifge.org)
- Published Transgender Tapestry, an important pre-internet publication.
Remembering Our Dead/TDOR (rememberingourdead.org)
- Also gender.org/remember
- National Transgender Advocacy Coalition
- aka Gender Public Advocacy Coalition genderpac.livejournal.com
- Transexual Menace
- In Your Face newsletter
American Educational Gender Informational Service, Inc. (gender.org/aegis)
- Founded by Dallas Denny. Published the important periodical Chrysalis Quarterly.
- Later part of Gender Education and Advocacy, Inc.
Gender Education and Advocacy (gender.org)
- Maintained a large suite of sites
- Gender Advocacy Internet News (GAIN) gender.org/gain
- Remembering Our Dead (gender.org/remember)
- AEGIS (gender.org/aegis)
International Conference on Transgender Law & Employment Policy (ICTLEP)
- By Phyllis Randoph Frye
AIDS Education Global information System (aegis.org)
- by Sister Mary Elizabeth Clark
- SSS, or Society for the Second Self, a prominent crossdressing organization
It’s Time, America! (tgender.net/ita)
- Executive Director Jessica Xavier. A big part of early transgender lobbying days in Congress.
- Susan Stryker and others. Offshoot of Queer Nation.
End Trans Discrimination (endtransdiscrimination.org)
Transgender Law and Policy Institute – TLPI
Gender Education and Media
Australian WOMAN Network (w-o-m-a-n.net)
Congress of Transgender Organizations
Transgender Officers Protect and Serve – TOPS
Transgender Alliance for Community
Transgender Fund (tgfund.org)
GID Reform Advocates (gidreform.org)
Renaissance Education Association (ren.org)
- aka Renaissance Transgender Association
- Gender Proud
- Trans United Fund
- Trans Athlete
- Transgender Forum (tgforum.org)
- Joann Roberts (circa 1948–June 7th, 2013) 3_D Communications, Inc. partnered with Cindy Martin of Transgender Forum and Jamie Faye Fenton, owner of transgender.org
Organizing for Transgender Rights: Collective Action, Group Development, and the Rise of a New Social Movement. Anthony J. Nownes, SUNY Press (March 1, 2019). ISBN13: 978-1-4384-7301-7
How Sex Changed: A History of Transsexuality in the United States. Joanne Meyerowitz (April 1, 2004). ISBN-10: 0674013794