Transgender people have performed military service throughout history. Many countries allow transgender people to serve openly in the military, including:
- Czech Republic
- New Zealand
In the United States, thousands of transgender servicemembers have served honorably, including many notable veterans:
- Calpernia Addams
- Kristin Beck
- Mary Elizabeth Clark
- Charlotte Clymer
- Joanne Conte
- Sage Fox
- Phyllis Frye
- Jennifer Gale
- Deborah Hartin
- Monica Helms
- Christine Jorgensen
- Yasmin Lee
- Christine McGinn
- Shane Ortega
- Jennifer Pritzker
- Sabrina Ramet
- Renée Richards
- Angelica Ross
- Lauren Scott
- Sheri Swokowski
Thousands more transgender people are currently on active or reserve duty, including many who serve openly. Many transgender people ages 18 through 25 are required to register with the US Selective Service System in the event of a military draft. A 2013 study found that transgender people are more likely to serve in the US military than other citizens.
The National Transgender Discrimination Survey (NTDS) found that transgender Americans serve in the military at a high rate; 20 percent of NTDS respondents had served in the armed forces as compared to 10 percent of the U.S. general population.Still Serving in Silence: Transgender Service Members and Veterans in the National Transgender Discrimination Survey (2013). [PDF]
Their status was challenged beginning in 2017, when Donald Trump indicated he would reverse an Obama Administration decision that allowed trans people to serve openly.
Learn more below about transgender military service in the United States.
US Department of Veterans Affairs (patientcare.va.gov)
- Veterans with Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender (LGBT) and Related Identities
- Transgender Female Health Care (PDF)
- Transgender Male Health Care (PDF)
TAVA: Transgender American Veterans Association (transveteran.org)
- Advocates for health services for transgender veterans.
- Legal group that advocates for authentic transgender service and supports the LGBTQ military and veteran communities
- Advocates for actively serving transgender military members, veterans, and their families.
Tawani Foundation (tawanifoundation.org)
- Funding organization that advocates for military issues, including transgender service.